The second month begins and the back is finished! Goal achieved! I celebrated with a bit of decorative stitching. Photos to follow.
I had a small scrap of upholstery fabric left from a client's project that worked perfectly with the thread I had leftover from my pole-wrapped shibori indigo dye vat. At this point I'm most stitching around the edges of the scraps, just to get them attached, then I'll come back through and add stitches to make sure there aren't any gaps and sags in the finished piece.
I started 2017 with a thorough brooming of my workspace, which kept my body busy as my mind pondered what new project to start. Most of the things I'm working on now involve a very long process without many interesting interim stages to document, or to sense the progress. I came across a post somewhere on Instagram, that I, of course, cannot find today, about doing a bit of embroidery each day. So I pulled out an old jacket that I love the shape of, but don't much like the fabric. I'm not sure I've ever thrown out a scrap of fabric, so I have a box of tiny pieces that I thought I could use to repurpose the old jacket in the Japanese boro style. I had some thread I'd used in tying off my shibori pieces in the indigo dye vat, so I started stitching. Hopefully, I'll spend 10 minutes a day stitching, and document the progress each day.