I've been away from my blog for months now as I set up my new workroom. My dye shack is still to come, so in the meantime, I've been trying to use up all my scraps and bits. I found this wooden tissue box cover and had a scrap of arashi (aka pole wrapped) shibori cotton so I used some Modge Podge and attached the fabric to the box. I've made a commitment to work through my art supplies and fabrics before I buy anything new. This got rid of three things, the box, the fabric, and some clumpy old Midge Podge. And it looks pretty great on my countertop on top of my navy blue cabinets.
If you're looking to try this yourself, Amazon has unfinished wooden tissue box covers. I gave this one a coat of gesso so the wood wouldn't bleed through. White primer would work just as well, but I had the gesso handy so I used it. I gave it a light sanding after the gesso and sanded between coats of Modge Podge. I did 4 coats of Gloss ModPodge and a final coat of Matte ModPodge. I find that more than one coat of Matte Modge Podge looks milky and obscures the shibori